Thursday, March 20, 2014

768 Half Square Triangles

 Yes! I finally have all my HSTs sewn, pressed, and  trimmed for the scrappy Rainbow (Ocean) Waves quilt. 

Trimming the last 88 HSTs
Turns out the scraps I initially cut gave me 680 HSTs, which would have been plenty, but a last minute design change meant I needed more.  Flipping through Pintrest last night I found this blog post from the Cre8tive Quilter with a fabulous ocean waves variation.

In case you were wondering what 768 HSTs looks like
After carefully counting and stacking all my HSTs I needed to randomize them for sewing in to blocks, so I tossed them all in a drawer and stirred.  This quilt is going to be heavy on the blues and greens because, let's face it, all my quilts are :)


Here's the layout for the blocks in this quilt.  These squares were initially cut to 3.5", sewn into HSTs, then trimmed to 3", so they will finish at 2.5" in the quilt.  Each block should finish at 10".


Block one, done! Now I just need to make 47 more...


Linking up to Needle and Thread Thursday at My Quilt Infatuation.

2 comments:

  1. I like your block. What a great way to use scraps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am VERY eager to see this one completed! SOOOOOOO SCRAPPY! COOL!

    ReplyDelete