Thursday, June 11, 2015

Friday Finish: Seattle Hipster Bag

Welcome to Friday Finishes!  This week I have a fun non-quilty finish to share.  I made myself a bag!


I have never carried a purse, instead carrying my wallet and phone etc. in my pockets. There are times, though, when a bag would be really handy. Like any self respecting quilter, I decided to make my own :)


The pattern I used for this bag is the Two Zip Hipster Bag from Dog Under My Desk with just a couple changes. I did add the stacked pockets on the back, which were not in the original pattern.


The feature fabric is a panel of a map of Seattle and the surrounding area which I bought from UnderCover quilts on my recent trip to the Northwest. The other fabric came out of the upholstery fabric remnant bin at Hancocks.


I used a stiff interfacing to strengthen all the bag parts and a thin foam for the main body to give it structure.  Inside the bag is plenty of room, a snap pocket, and elastic pocket and a clip for my keys.


I do highly recommend this pattern. It was easy to follow and to adjust and the bag is the perfect size at about 9"x11"x2". The strap adjusts so it can be worn over the shoulder or cross body.  I'm looking forward to trying it out on an upcoming trip!

Linking to Finish it Friday at Crazy Mom Quilts.

12 comments:

  1. What a great looking bag! Fun fabric choice. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous bag. It looks so sturdy too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Every time I see a gorgeous bag like yours I want to make one. Love the fabrics/colors and the size. Fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your bag. I still have not gotten past zipper pouches and drawstring bags.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks way harder than a quilt! Good for you - it's really cool!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a cool bag! I recently read an article online about how not to look old. One of the tips was to not carry the kind of purse I regularly schlepp around. Your bag is a much better idea!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow. That looks incredibly professionally constructed

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your bag. Well done. I need that fabric, being a native Pacific Northwesterner!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cute bag!! And thanks for showing the seattle fabric. My son graduates from Univ of Washington next Spring and this fabric will be part of his grad quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, for pete's sake, I have that fabric and could not decide what to do with it. It is so fabulous used in that bag. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete