Wednesday, August 3, 2016

Behind the Scenes Progress

I saw one of our quilts this week! I was walking down the hall at work and saw a young woman being wheeled out of dialysis with the pink and orange star quilt across her lap.  This one, pieced by Mina and quilted by JerriAnn.  It was probably given out sometime around last Christmas, presumably when a relative of hers was passing away.  It was a complete surprise to see that piece of Covered in Love in the hospital halls, in use as it was meant to be. It's the sort of thing that gives you a second wind to keep going.


In between a lot of summer travel and whatnot I've been plugging away on quilts.  We just recently got back from Airventure in Oshkosh, WI.  What a cool place!  It's doubtful that there will be a Friday Finish this week, but this is what I accomplished today:


7 quilt backings made, paired with their tops, and ready to baste. Not a very photogenic stage in the quilting process, but necessary.


I finished off the day in one of my favorite ways, watching Cutthroat Kitchen with Rey.  She welcomed us home from our trip very enthusiastically, full of purrs! I think Rory was happy to see us, too. She's just a lot less demonstrative in her affection.

I hope your week is going well! I am about to be off on a trip again Sunday but after that I'll be home and settled for a while.  Don't forget the August CiL block drive is going on now if you want to sew along.  A few early birds have already gotten their blocks in!

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for writing about the star quilt sighting! You're right, it really helps to know for certain that folks are using their quilts.

    I feel so bad for that family: first they lost a loved one, now another is dealing with dialysis. It makes me pause and reflect on the blessings of good health, and inspires me to keep hoping that some quilty love from strangers helps a family like that, even just a little bit.

    My extended family welcomed a healthy baby girl this week, and I was so lucky to enjoy photos of the little squeaker wrapped up in one of my quilts! I'm going to try to get a blog post up soon with the photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How wonderful to see a quilt in use! You made my day today!

    ReplyDelete