Sunday, October 23, 2016

More String Maddness

 For about the past year I haven't sewn many blocks for each of the CiL block drives.  I always test the blocks and make a demo block or two, and of course if I wind up a couple short of a whole quilt I make up the difference, but beyond that I usually don't make any more.  You fine folks have done such a good job of supplying blocks for the quilts! And knowing that I will soon be sewing so many of them, it keeps me from getting burned out, I think.  However, I do often find myself wanting to sew along a similar tangent. Something inspired by the blocks piling up on my desk.


Just before October, when the CiL string block drive officially began, I trimmed up the strings in my scrap box and set to work on bright and loud string log cabins.  That quilt is about wrapped up now and yet I still have plenty of strings!  Next up? I'm trying something like a string herringbone.  Here are the first dozen blocks on the wall. What do you think?  I'm not sold yet.  With my glasses off the herringbone effect is really prominent and I like it, but in-focus the lines between the blocks catch my eye much more than the herringbone.

Linking to Oh Scrap!, Design Wall Monday, and Moving it Forward Monday.

16 comments:

  1. I like it. It is a great twist on the blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like it, too! Maybe the seam lines will be less noticeable after quilting?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the colors in this! The seams don't bother me but then I love string blocks in any layout! Thanks for sharing yours with Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like it. I wonder if it would be a bit more calm if you added a border around a row or two. Or try alternating a solid block of fabric here or there. Just something to think about. I do like it though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, it's so bright and cheery and it doesn't look too "girly" if it were to wind up given to a young male teen at Covered In Love. Good for you for working on it, keep going!

    ReplyDelete
  6. One more thing, if you have enough for some low volume string blocks, that could be interesting to mix in a few. I'ld be glad to whip up a few for you if you wanted. Sort of like this but much more simple https://www.google.com/search?q=string+block+quilts&espv=2&biw=1709&bih=850&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwin4L7xrfHPAhXMWD4KHSesD5kQ_AUIBygC#imgrc=kyRvD01NcwDDZM%3A

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like it! Very bright and fun, even if it doesn't look like herringbones.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A little colour explosion happening here, I like it alot!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I see what you mean about the lines between the blocks. It's subtly different than a traditional herringbone block, isn't it? Only you can decide if it bothers you, though. I like the blocks very much (and it looks like the other commenters agree!) Perhaps if you think of them as rectangle strings instead of strictly herringbones, that might help wrap your brain around it better? Then you have other layout options, too: sashing, reversing directions, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Try grouping by colors. It's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I quite like it, but then I'm a sucker for scrappy string blocks. Don't think I've ever seen an shape or arrangement that didn't get added to my "to do" list.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks awesome. I'm doing the same blocks. Your colours are lovely and bold.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like the blocks and look. Wonder what it looks like once the blocks are pieced together? They may look more cohesive then.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Scrappy quilts are my favourite and yours is no exception.

    ReplyDelete