Thursday, January 19, 2017

Orphan Blocks at Home

Waaay back in July I asked for Star blocks for the Covered in Love block drive.  I received lots of lovely blocks that eventually made four great quilts.  After making the others 8 star blocks were leftover for the orphan drawer. Last week they finally made it into tops! 


I used my Accuquilt to cut 4.5" strips and 2.5" strips from scraps. The 2.5" strips I used to sash the stars and the 4.5" strips I assembled jelly-roll-race style.  I inserted the stars into the scrappy strips and before long I had 2 scrappy, cuddly quilts.


I did a VERY large stipple on these. I've been doing so many quilts recently with lots of scraps, I forgot how smooth it feels to quilt a top that doesn't have a million seams.


On the day I made backings for these two quilts I made several others as well. I calculated that I went though almost 20 yards of fabric, all donated, making backs! Thank you to everyone (Nancy K., Amanda, Gail, Kathy, and others) who have donated yardage for backing.  I don't need to tell you that even on sale the cost for yardage can add up fast.  Also special thanks to Mina who sent me 2 rolls of prepped binding!  I used the black one on these quilts and still have some left :)


These two quilts will be added to Covered in Love's stash to be given to families mourning the loss of a loved one in the hospital.  Thanks to everyone who contributes to CiL! If you want to join in the Jan/Feb block drive is here.


This week was the first Sew Some Love Linkup and several quilters showed off projects for charity! Please come back here on Wednesday to join the linky and see what others have going on. Any projects sewn for any charity cause is welcome!


Linking to Finish it Friday Can I Get a Whoop Whoop, and Oh Scrap!

Listening to this week... sometimes you just want the comfort of your all-time favorite

10 comments:

  1. Another pretty, cuddly finish! Red, white and blue is so classic.

    I'm doing some mindless chain piecing on a charity quilt top today. The combination of doing something nice for someone else, plus being distracted, is a good goal on this day...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the quilts, and the sentiment behind them, and especially the music. I hope to get some blocks sewn for your wonderful project. Thank you!
    Cheers,
    Sylvia at Treadlestitches

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats! on finishing the Orphan Block quilt. It's AWESOME!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your star quilt!!! Great that you have an Accuquilt for helping out, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fun way to use up those orphan blocks! I'll come back on Wednesday:-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your orphan block quilts look like they were just meant to be! I love the different reds, whites, and blues all together.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great idea using strips to offset those blocks. I love it! Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This turned out great. Its very clever how you can take 4 blocks and create an entire quilt!

    ReplyDelete